Monday, August 30, 2010

Interview with Pro Boxer and IBF Holder Paulie "Magic Man" Malignaggi


I recently had the honor of interviewing renowned boxer Paulie "Magic Man" Malignaggi. I was very much looking forward to this interview for many reasons. First, I am from Brooklyn, so I support my home town heroes vehemently from afar. Secondly, his personality in the ring and mere presence on television are so strong, that I was curious to see if that cocky attitude would come across in the interview.
But I have to say, Paulie was incredibly honest and humble. I was almost stunned by his answers and I think that there is a remarkable depth and sense of self to Paulie. If more boxers knew how to put on a show but also reveal their true selves as Paulie did, this would be an even greater sport. Thank you, Paulie.
And yes... I did reply to his question for me about Amir Khan!

INTERVIEW WITH PAULIE "MAGIC MAN" MAGNAGGI

1. How would you best describe your boxing style? Do you feel that your style developed early on in your training or has evolved over time? I would consider my self a slick boxer, this is the sport of boxing. So, I like to box and move. You always evolve in this sport, you can only keep learning and changing different things as you go along.



2. Do you sense a renewed and greater interest in boxing now than in recent years? If so, do you attribute this to the incredible star-like popularity of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather or to just trends in what people like/follow sports-wise over the years?



Honestly, not sure if boxing has a renewed interest, hopefully it changes.



3. What has been your most memorable fight and why?



Probably the Cotto fight has to be my most memorable fight, but also winning the IBF belt as well. The Cotto was just the highlight of my career, it put Malignaggi on the map. It had a great crowd, great atmosphere, I won't forget that day.



4. Is there anyone you have not fought that you would like to fight? Everyone knows Paulie Malignaggi will fight anyone, I always stepped up to the plate.



5. Did you expect Amir Khan to be such a strong opponent?



Personally, I was a bit surprised so I am curious to know what you thought. He was just a great opponent period, just had skills. He's an all around fighter, that will go far in this sport.



6. You can’t deny that you are somewhat of a polarizing “personality” in boxing. People seem to love or hate you; oddly enough more based on your choice of fashion, your vibrant personality and persona in the ring. Are you just being you or do you deliberately want to bring this element to boxing?



That's just me being me, I have fun with this sport, if you can't enjoy what your doing, no sense of doing it. If people dislike me, then I accept that, it comes with the territory.



7. Do you have any fights scheduled for the near future?



Nothing right now, shooting towards the end of the year, possibly in Italy. I'm filming a movie right now and that has my focus.



8. Any last words or anything you’d like to share with the public?



I'd like to thank everyone for supporting me, and standing behind me 100 percent! I've got the best fans in the world. Also check out my website www.officialmalignaggi.com and follow me on twitter!!! twitter.com/paulmalignaggi






No comments: